Sunday, June 14, 2009

Great Birthday Gift

Lauren gave me a great gift for my birthday this year. A $50 account with KIVA. I first became aware of KIVA a couple years back when I was looking for a means of helping my friend, Abraham, in Ghana get a business started. In short KIVA facilitates micro-loans to third world citizens in need of capital to start or grow their business. Loans can be made for anything from a $100 to a roadside peddler to buy a shoestring inventory, up thousands of dollars to a farmer for a tractor. KIVA's website allows me to view and decide who gets my loan in $25 increments. My loan will be combined with other lenders until the request amount is met.

I gave my first $25 (toward a total request of $525) to a young woman in Vietnam with a farm supply business, so she could increase her inventory. This is not her first loan. She's received and repaid five previous loans expanding her business each time. I should receive the a full repayment within 13 months, and there is no interest. At that time I can either cash out or re-loan to another requester.

There's also the possibility that she will default on her loan. It's a gamble. As I see it though, this venture is somewhat like all those slot machine I've played over the years. I won't win, but at least now I can't lose, too. And this rounds going to last 13 months

Thanks, Lauren
Interested in Playing a little yourself? http://www.kiva.org/


No comments: